Why not start my site off with a hot easy crowd pleaser. Whether this is for a quick weeknight dinner or to have people over for a make your own tacos bar, this recipe will not disappoint.
If you have ever been to Taco Bell, this recipe may taste familiar, expect you’ll actually know what’s going into your food. I grew up having Taco Bell as a treat, and I’m not going to lie if I get the chance to get it, I won’t turn it down. But seriously, you don’t want to see what goes into any fast food restaurant’s food…. so don’t! Make it at home 😉
- Ground Beef
- 1 small yellow onion. diced
- 2-4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon adobo (optional)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Serrano chilli (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 Jalapeño
- Handful Cilantro
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sour Cream
- 1 pint Grape tomatoes
- 1/4 Small Red Onion, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 lime
- Flour tortillas
- Let’s start with the beef prep. Sautee your onions on medium low heat for a couple minutes to get them tender. Add in your ground beef and pound it out to break it into smaller pieces.
- Once the beef gets some colour, add in your garlic and spices. Add just enough water to float underneath the beef, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and cover.
- Now let’s work on the pico de gallo. Chop up your grape tomatoes into small pieces, add to a bowl. Add in your diced red onion (should be about a fourth of how many tomatoes you add), chop and add your cilantro, dice half a jalepeno and add, squeeze 1 juice of a lime, add a teaspoon of sugar and salt, and add your minced garlic. Give that a good mix and let it marinate while the beef cooks.
- Prep the rest of your toppings by grating your cheese, putting sour cream into a bowl (or not), slice the remaining jalepeno, chop any extra cilantro, and prep your lettuce.
- Check on your beef. You can remove the lid and cook until the water as absorbed into the beef. Adjust seasonings at this point.
- When the beef is ready, you are so close to being able to eat! Warm up your tortillas either over gas or in the microwave. Top with the cheese, beef, lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, and ENJOY!